Friday, October 10, 2008

The First Week

































A metal peacock outside my apartment, a tree made of flowers, the front of my apartment

The lobby of the hotel in Shanghai, the view of the industrial area outside my Shanghai hotel, the Narita airport in Tokyo

My first week here has been full of new things and experiences.

I traveled all day and night to get to Shanghai and (my dear Japanese students) the Japanese plane was much better than the American plane. It even had better movies.


I arrived in Shanghai Tuesday night (China time) and was VERY tired.

On Wednesday morning I took the train to the city of Wuxi.

Here's a link to a map and a little information: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/jiangsu/wuxi/

There I my hosts gave me lunch and then let me get to my apartment. Again I was very tired.

Since then, I've slept a lot (12 hours Wednesday night) and met my students for this month.

I'm planning what to teach, calling my family and trying to get a look at the city.

It is a different feeling to be some place and not speak the local language. I have done this before but it's always good to remember how my students at home feel.

I am most impressed with how many kind people there are in the world. Today a waitress in the coffee shop was so very patient with me. I ordered Russian tea and didn't understand what she was trying to tell me. So she brought out the alcohol in a bottle to ask me if I wanted it in the tea. I was so glad she didn' t put it in the tea without asking! I really appreciated her.

How about you? When did someone help you when you really needed it? And how are you doing wherever you are?

Best Wishes from China-

12 comments:

Barbara Kuhn said...

Hi Karrie,
I finally made it to your blog. You are definitely on your journey. I love the pictures. How is your apartment?
Barbrara

Karen said...

Hi Karrie:

What a beautiful apartment building your lobby is stunning! I know from traveling overseas that the jet lag & time change really is a problem for me also, good luck clearing the cobwebs. Your tea reminded me of our trip to So.Africa, I asked for ice in my tea & got ice cream instead, always an adventure when you don't speak the language, a lot of pointing & hand signs makes for a fun adventure. People are usually so kind, I'm glad you're finding that the case as well.

Your photos are great, can't wait to hear more, take care,
Karen Scott

Unknown said...

Hello, I am looking at your pictures. They are very nice pictures. Have a good time in china.

Unknown said...

Hello, I am looking at your pictures. They are nice pictures. I hope you are having nice time in china.
Anatoliy

Unknown said...

Hello. How are you doing? We miss you in class. When do you come back?
Sang

Unknown said...

Hello. How are you today?
Ngoc

toshi said...

Hello.
My case, When I and my friend took a train in Japan, I slept carelessly in the train. My friend gets out before than me. Then I was waked up at my station by neighbor.Neighbor had heard our conversation.

tetsuo said...

I had same situation in the US. It was good experience for me.

Karrie Zylstra-Myton said...

Hi Everyone,

I'm glad you're enjoying my pictures.

I will be back on Nov. 12th and I miss you, too.

And, Toshi, I love your story about the kind stranger on the train:)

Samantha said...

Karrie - We're waiting to hear more about your adventures...you must be having such an amazing time that you are swept up and can't get to the computer. I hope it is so...

Living vicariously through you ~
Samantha

Heather said...

This is QUEST Session 3-A. We have some questions for you. Have you seen any Pandas? Have you seen bamboo growing? What is your favorite part about China? What animals have you seen? What are you doing in the city? How many students are in your class?

Comment from Kieran - "See you Later!"
Have a wonderful time in China
QUEST 3-A

Karrie Zylstra-Myton said...

Dear Quest 3A-

I have not seen any pandas. They don't live in this part of China and wouldn't like this big city. It's twice as big as Seattle!

I HAVE seen a lot of bamboo growing. It's everywhere. I've also eaten a lot of bamboo. People here cook it and it's quite tasty.

My favorite part of China is the people. They stare at me a lot everywhere I go but most everyone is very friendly and helpful. They also love to try to practice their English if they aren't too shy.

The funniest part about China is the traffic. Everyone honks their horns constantly to warn other people that they are coming. But no one is angry. It's just like, "I'm here. Please be watch out and be careful."

I have only seen cats and dogs here. I can here the beautiful cricket noises at night, though. They have a long chirp that I really enjoy after all of the honking stops (about midnight).

There are 81 students in my class. We meet in groups of 20 many times a week. If you would like, you can ask me a question to ask them. If it's ok with your teacher you could also send them a picture of your class. I'll post one of them today.

Thanks for the great questions!

Kieran, I will be so happy to see you again:)