Friday, October 17, 2008

The Second Week









I can't believe I'm already writing about my second week! It's all going by so fast.




This week I began to teach my classes and really get to know my students. I'm embarrassed that their names are all so difficult for me. And yes, Samantha, I have been terribly busy.




The president and vice president of Bates came from Tacoma for the opening ceremony of our program. We met with all the students, went to a spectacular ceremony with speeches, and had another wonderful dinner after that.




And every day was filled with new Chinese words for me. My favorite is the word for jogging: man pao. I love to jog and really like the sound of that word. Yesterday I picked up some books for little kids to help me write the Chinese characters. I think those books are written for preschoolers but they are just the right level for me:)




Many people have asked about my apartment. It has a bathroom, a kitchen area, bedroom and small office. It's very comfortable for one person and even has a balcony so I can hang my laundry. People don't use dryers here and I've found that it's really not too inconvenient.




I'll do better next week and post more often.




Finally, to my dear students and the Quest class: I made a spelling mistake in my comments to you for the last post. Can you find it? I can't seem to fix it!




Pictures above right to left: My office with a blurry me, the building where I teach and have an office, all 81 students lined up in ties to greet the president of Bates, my favorite Russian tea (without alcohol), 3 of the students receiving their Bates ID tags.

1 comment:

Mary K said...

Hi Karrie
I have no idea what I am doing since this ol' lady has never "blogged" before! :-) I just wanted to say "Hi" and let you know I've been thinking about you. Your blog and pix are interesting. Your mom says you're doing great. keep it up.
Mary K