Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Transportation


I know that I can never describe the experience of transportation here.

That won't stop me from trying.

Riding the bus is the easiest. I put my 2 yuan into the slot and then just hope to find a seat.

Mom and I went downtown today and there was no seat to be had. So we stood. And tried not to fall as the bus driver accelerated and swerved to miss the pedestrians that step out in front buses all the time. They must because there is no other way to get across a street. Meanwhile electric scooters dash in and out of traffic lanes and onto sidewalks. Sometimes they go in the right direction. Other times they head into oncoming lanes of cars and buses.

A mob of children rushed the bus where we were waiting to go back to the apartment today. They pounded on the side of the bus, crushing an old man to the side as the bus driver kept moving to get to his regular stop. No one looked surprised. They just all thought it was normal. Only Mom and I were holding our breath.

But I like the buses. The things that really scare me are the taxis. They zoom along at 50 miles an hour swerving and missing the other cars by inches. Maybe by centimeters.

I know. All taxi drivers are crazy, even in Seattle. The difference here is that people wander around in front of them and the other cars drive the same taxi cab way. And don't forget the bicycles with an occasional motorized cart full of a tower of garbage. At least with the buses, I'm up high enough. And there I don't mind so much that no one wears seat belts. Not even I do. I can't find them in those wild toad ride taxis.

No comments: